Compiled by Marcia Eisenberg for the University Counseling Center
Are you concerned about a friend, but don't know how or where to begin to help?
If you see some of these signs, a friend may need your help
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping all the time.
- A change in physical appearance.
- Increase or decrease in weight.
- Increased use of alcohol and/or substance abuse.
- Apathy - loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyed.
- Mood swings - unprovoked anger or hostility.
- Withdrawal from friends - becoming socially isolated.
- Missing classes and not preparing assignments.
- Overly unhappy, discouraged - tearful or lack of emotion.
- Preoccupation with death - talking about suicide.